Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Shulamite's Song

Beloved,
for you I steal off into the night.
I can see your eyes reflecting a waxing crescent moon--
in its shadow, at last, I see all the world, reaching to pull its dark blanket over the light, but too small; the sliver is a smile, and tonight I will kiss the moon.
Your breezes weave in and out of my ankles, teasing my calves and my knees, testing the edges of my skirt that swing this way and that. We walk together and find a need for little else. My mind is out of my body but when I, gasping, whisper your name.
You lead me by a finger to the river, and the thrill of the night overcomes me. I am alone with you in this city.
I shed my shoes, my phone, my keys; I wrap my body 'round the rugged trunk of this tree, and lean, with a testing step, to see how it holds my weight. You beckon me, and I am enticed-- I reach out for your arms to stay me as I step-- I am on a balance beam with you.
We sit, and I listen to your voice, dark and mellow, swift and full like rushing water. I look up at you, as for the first time, the Archer, the Lion, wild like the Bear; I see the crown, and you are the King. The river is full of music and every light is reflected in your eyes. This sturdy branch arches into my back and I lie with you; all is blue and dark and dancing, branches spreading into the sky. I push my feet and hands into the bark of the tree to steady myself - you thrill me with your love, and, with the strength of your arms, you hold me well above danger and far from fear. When you breathe on me, my body shivers, and I am only yours tonight.
I gather my things and move to go; the breeze on my neck is your longing sigh. Barriers are broken, and propriety gone with the wind. I neither fear you nor question you, and I need long for you no longer. Come to me again, my love; for you I will steal off into the night. I can see your eyes reflecting, at last, all of me: dark but you have called me lovely. The thought of you and I can't help but smile. Tonight, I will kiss the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment